Wednesday, May 23, 2007

When morality clashes - A doctor's dilemma

Some time back, some people were discussing what seemed to them to be an erroneous comment by our Minister Mentor, that Singapore's medical service sector was highly efficient, upon his receiving treatment at a local hospital for an ailment.

I guess I agree with their views too - this is the world after all, and God forbid but persons in power always have access to privileges, may they be aware of it or not. I wouldn't hazard a guess as to how many people had their own appointments disrupted to make way for the MM, but it would be reasonable to say that there would inevitably be a number. Personally speaking, I scoff at the idea of preferential treatment for so-called VIPs, but I guess to be fair to the MM it is likely that he was unaware of this (probable) occurence.

Although I myself have no desire for medicine as a profession, I couldn't help but wonder - What if I was the doctor in charge? Would I choose to disrupt the treatment of several just to make way for a 'VIP'? The answer was simple - NO. It would be discrimination to do so for one, plus, as I stated earlier, I detest the idea of preferential treatment.

But consider another situation - Imagine you are a doctor, and your parent is ill. But there are several other persons in a similar plight, and they had approached you for treatment first. So who would you treat first? Whilst our Asian upbringing stresses on the importance of filial piety and familial ties as moral values, it would also be discriminating to administer preferential treatment. In treating your parent first, you would be doing your duty as a son/daughter. But imagine the hurt/grievance you would cause to the other patients and their loved ones. And vice versa. So which option is right?

My conclusion - It is a difficult world to live in.

No comments: