Sunday, January 17, 2010

vast

Saturday morning: Sitting in a kayak and gazing out into the sea, I felt tiny. Somewhere further out, my friends were racing around, practicing their strokes, trying to capsize each other, making a lot of noise, having a lot of fun... But I was lost in my own world. I was struck at how, compared to the vastness of the sea, I was insignificant. 

I suppose it is human of us to let our problems and worries crowd our life. Sometimes, we get so caught up thinking inward about ourselves, letting our problems become our world, that we forget the bigger world outside -- the real world. And how often we accuse those who do live in the bigger world of being ignorant of the problems and pressures of the 'real world', as if joy and wonder were something to be ashamed of.

Why is it that though our eyes are open, we do not really see? Why is it that though our ears register sounds, we do not really hear? Or are we really blind and deaf? Is the world as we perceive it not really the world in actuality? How small our world must be then! If only we would let our minds expand beyond ourselves, beyond the simplicity and mundaneness of our lives to comprehend the vastness of creation!

Why should we box ourselves up in a world comprising nothing more than worries and woes? Have we forgotten that God is far greater than these? If creation alone could be so unimaginably vast, what more the Creator? 

"Dare to dream," He says. And so we try to look beyond ourselves. Because only if we would dare to dream could we ever step out of our short sightedness to fully appreciate just how infinitely good the Creator, and hence his creation, is.

No comments: