Saturday, October 24, 2009

jade

I've been wishing for a quiet, relaxed weekend spent at home for the longest of time but sadly, it just isn't coming anytime soon. Which sucks because I really need some alone time. Serving in two ministries really is no joke; meeting after meeting, session after session, cell after cell -- it's taking its toll. Not to mention that I feel like a fish out of water serving in my current capacity in youth ministry. 

I should suppose a non-Christian/outsider might ask: "If it's such a chore, why serve?"

Why serve indeed? Serving is troublesome, it takes up time and energy that could be spent elsewhere... But. I do have a passion for youth ministry, and out of this passion I have made commitments and taken responsibilities. That's why.

People always say that if you have a passion for something, it will never be a chore. Let me assure you that this isn't the case at all. Jesus had a Passion for humanity, but that didn't make his dying any easier. Often times he wanted to rest, but the crowds just kept coming and coming. A good man would be pardoned for turning these away, but he didn't, because he understood that a true passion outlives the feelings that accompany it. A true passion endures hardship and troubles -- it doesn't make them any easier, it doesn't make them any less of a chore, but is faithful until the end.

So here I am, pursuing my passion. Let me then emulate the love of David son of Jesse for God, and therefore say: 

"I will not offer up to the Lord sacrifices that do not cost me."

No comments: